Sunday, February 19, 2012

Obstacles Encountered in a Speech Class

Obstacle #1 Picking a Topic

I don't understand why this seems to be the most difficult thing to ever do. Picking a topic for a speech is like picking your poison. Let's start with something I recently had to do, a How To speech. What do these people want to know how to do? So many things. This topic only makes me realize I really don't know how to do anything interesting whatsoever. I can make you a sandwich kind of. Even that is considered to easy of a topic. Then people tell you to do something related to a sport you do. I swam in high school. I can't demonstrate anything swimming related in a class room. I kinda need a pool to do that. Umm... what do I know how to do? Blog? I don't want to reveal to the real world that I do this. This is my secret between me and the entire world wide web. I'm not going to talk about this in  classroom. You just gotta pick something, go with your gut, and move on with your life.

Obstacle #2 Stupid Visual Aids

I feel like I'm forced to constantly think of new and exciting visual aids that go beyond just power points. Here is my problem with this. Think to yourself who gives speeches the most... professors. And what do most of these professors only ever do when the teach in class... use power points. The power points are very good and helpful and I like them. Why can't a power point be enough for these speech teaching teachers? Because they are try to get us to think out of the box I suppose. And I will admit that a lot of teachers use other visual aids on occasion, but certainly not for every speech they give. I just want to be able to make a beautiful power point and have it be respected for how beautiful and well-crafted it is. My power point shouldn't be hated on because power points or used a lot. Thinking about it I actually love power points. They are so helpful and nice.

Obstacle #3 I'm Usually Nervous

I don't know why I'm nervous. I don't really even care about giving this speech. I just know that someone is judging everything I do while I give this speech. I don't like that. Stop writing little notes about how I'm not standing on two feet at once or that my voice gets higher pitched as I go along. I can't help it. I can give presentations in class just fine as long as that class isn't a speech class. There's way to much going on that I have to think about and I don't get to think about what I'm telling you anymore.


So there is a semi organized rant about speech classes and what I don't like about them. I actually think everyone should take a speech class since its a good thing to learn and be familiar with. Be able to present your thoughts and ideas clearly is a crucial life skill. I just needed something to blog about and that's what is on my mind right now. So I hope you don't dislike my blog because it is pretty whiney. Again I would like to point out that I haven't edited this at all. Hopefully there aren't any mistakes. I'll be less lazy later. I have homework now.

Ta Ta For Now,
Sassy Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment